We hope your scholarship makes a positive impact on your education. While there are some obligations for you to fulfill as a recipient, the OTC Foundation is here to help you meet those successfully.
You can view most of the information about your scholarship(s) in the AwardSpring portal you used to apply by clicking the “Awarded” banner at the top of your Dashboard.
What requirements do I need to maintain my scholarship?
The following requirements are mandatory in order to remain in good standing as a scholarship recipient:
- View a online Scholarship Orientation session
- Submit Thank You Note to the Foundation (for each semester awarded)
- Attend the Donor Reception in the Spring
Failure to fulfill these obligations could result in your scholarship being revoked.
Additionally, your GPA, program of study, course load, and/or other factors made you eligible to receive the award. If your scholarship is one that renews from the Fall to Spring semesters, you need to maintain these criteria to receive the award in the Spring.
What is an OTC Foundation scholarship?
OTC Foundation Scholarships are provided by private donors and administered by the OTC Foundation staff. This is in distinction from OTC Institutional scholarships, which are provided directly by OTC and are administered by the Financial Aid department.
Foundation and Institutional scholarships have two separate applications, but share the same deadlines for applying:
- Fall: March 1 – June 1
- Spring: September 1 – November 1
- Summer: March 1 – May 1
Other scholarships awarded directly by non-OTC individuals and organizations are called “External/Third Party” awards. Student Account Services can verify whether you have received one of these awards.
How does an OTC Foundation scholarship work?
OTC Foundation scholarships:
- Apply directly to student account
- Do not affect other Financial Aid eligibility
The process of an awarded scholarship affecting your student bill happens on a weekly basis, starting after the semester is a few weeks underway.
Most OTC Foundation scholarships are “refundable”, meaning any surplus of award money above your student bill will be directly refunded to the you, via the payment method you have established with Student Account Services. These refunds start processing a week after the last day to drop courses for the semester has passed.
How do I write a quality Thank You note?
- Use a piece of stationary or a thank you card. Do not use notebook paper or computer paper. Cards and stationery are always available the Foundation office (Information Commons, Room 206).
- Greet the Donor or Scholarship Foundation (ex. Dear Mr. Smith: or Dear Smith Foundation:). For memorial scholarships, thank the family of the deceased.
- Thank the donor for his/her gift and explain how it has helped you. Some possibilities include:
- How has the scholarship helped you achieve your goals?
- How has it made a difference in your life?
- How do you plan to use your education?
- Finalize with regards (ex. Sincerely, Your Name).
- Do not include personal identification numbers (i.e. student ID number).
- Deliver or mail your thank you note to the OTC Foundation. Other OTC centers can inter-office mail the notes to the Foundation from their front desk.
The Foundation staff is also happy to assist you in writing your note by contacting our office.
What is the Donor Reception?
The Donor Reception is an opportunity for donors and scholarship recipients to meet. Food is available when the event begins at 5:30 p.m. You will have the opportunity to meet with the donor or a representative who made your scholarship possible. Each scholarship recipient will have their photo taken with their donor or representative. You will have time to talk or mingle with other scholarship recipients, donors and college administrators.
- What is the dress code for the Donor Reception? Business attire.
- Ladies – dress or skirt/slacks/nice jeans and blouse
- Men – slacks/nice jeans and shirt
- What time will the doors open? 5:20 p.m. (Please do not arrive any earlier than 5:20 p.m. as the doors will be locked).
- May I bring a guest? Unfortunately, due to permitted seating constraints no guests are allowed.
- Will there be a registration desk? Yes, as you enter the venue there will be a check-in desk with your name tag, along with seating assignments.
- Do I need to RSVP? In addition to electronic notices given, a formal invitation will be mailed to your address. At that time, you will be asked to RSVP.
- How will I know what time my photo will take place? You will be notified at check-in of your photo time and where to report.
I still have questions, who do I contact?
We are eager to answer your question at the OTC Foundation.
Information Commons Room 206
1001 Chestnut Expressway
Springfield, MO 65802
417-447-2651 / Foundation@otc.edu
Amy Bacon, Executive Director
Cray Allred, Operations Coordinator
Sarah Bargo, Development Coordinator
Kristin Bowers, Administrative Assistant